Last week you may have seen my first post showing the big kitchen makeover part two? Link here if you haven’t or just fancy a re-cap. Well, I showed you all the new corner next the fridge, more specifically, i mentioned I would be showing you how we build the DIY storage cabinet thats now there. So here’s that post.
This was the area that needed something building,
I know most people think it would just be easier to buy something to sit down there, but they would be wrong. Armed with MDF and a nail gun. it took the whole of thirty minutes to build from start to finish – maybe a bit extra because we got fancy hinges. Anyway, the process was so basic. I measured the space, decided on my unit measurement. Height: 115cm – Width: 100cm – Depth : 50cm )And figured out what needed to be what. You don’t have to be a maths whizz for this. There are just two things to remember A) which joints will sit were and B) To add or takeaway cm’s to account for this decision. So, for exmple, in the simplest way I can explain it.
You’ve decided on your sizes. We’ll use mine as an example. I decided that the top and bottom panel would sit above and below the side pieces, instead of the side pieces sitting on the outside of the top and bottom panel – I hope this is making sense?!
This means that I need to take the thickness of the top and bottom panel of MDF OFF the size of the side panels. If your easy about sizes, have a bit of extra space to fill, this isn’t really needed – just wing it. But, if like me you have a very specific sized space to fill, you need those measurements right, especially the width.
Anyway, maths lesson over. Here’s how the build went.
Next up, was making the doors. Originally I just bought 2 plain pieces of MDF to attach with hinges. Until I realised it would look so plain. And so off I went, back to Savoy (I’m actually not being paid to promote them, Its just near, they have good prices and the guys there are really helpful.) to pick up some of the thinnest (6mm) MDF in 4 panels, to frame the doors.
I used the Miter saw (again.I’m getting brave with it.) for the corner joints and used a simple builders caulk to attach them to the doors an fill in the seams.
Once the caulk was dried, The doors were attatched to the cupboard and the caulked seams sanded down smooth.
Finally, I could get on with the fun part. The colour. Now, usually this is the great part, usually before the project has already started, I have the exact colour I want either already bought, or at least picked out. With this, the cupboard sat unfinished for three days whilst I panic bought testers. None of which fitted the seemingly non-existent colour I had pictured in my head. I’ll describe what I said to sam whilst we trawled yet another paint aisle.
“I want it like emerald green, deep and luxurious, but without the ‘pop-py’ green tone. More of an olive green shade to it, but not so much that it looks muddy.”
I’m serious about my colour choices. ha ha.
Anyway, I ended up just mixed my own using Homebase ‘village green’ and Wilkos ‘rebel’ black.
I wasn’t even sure it was the colour I wanted whilst I was painting it, but once finished and once the gorgeous handmade handles I bought last week had been attatched. Oh I was in love. It was exactly what I wanted.
There is no theme in my kitchen – I’m not a lover of themed rooms anyway, I have eclectic yet simple tastes, things that both completely contradict each other, yet sometimes I can make work, simple design in bold colours was the plan for this piece. This cabinet reminds me of something you’d find in an old shop, or a country kitchen that hasn’t been updated since the seventies. I love that about it. You’d never really guess it was built only last week from MDF.
The area, now home to its new custom built unit, was still not quite finished, and so after a very stressful attempt of finding shelving brackets that were a bit different, I actually settled for some rather basic brackets from B&Q, painted up some spare thick MDF and stuck it all up there on the wall. The perfect home for my cake stands.
Finally. After a month. The kitchen makeover part two is finished! Well, until I realise there’s something else I want to get done in there.
The little woman pretends.