Back when I posted the gallery wall update post (here.) I added a little list at the bottom, a list of things in the living room left to do. Well, today i’m tackling one of those things. Filling the bottom shelves of the TV unit.
On one side, I’ve placed a lantern that was originally in the kitchen….
Lovely. And on the other side.. I thought I’d add some greenery in the form of an artificial plant filled plant box. Something simple, something cheap and most importantly…Something that can be DIY-ed.
Here’s what I used:
– Plank of wood. 2 depending on how big you want your planter. – I’ll explain the measurements I chose further down.
– Stain/paint. I went with a lovely rich and dark stain.
– Wood glue. This depends solely on wether your using the next thing.
– Corner brackets. If you’re not using these, skip the wood glue and screw your box together.
-MDF base, i used some leftover 1/4″ MDF
And here’s what I did.
First, lets talk measurements. I picked up artificial plants from IKEA a few weeks ago, I already knew these where being used for this project. So I shoved them together, setting them out how i would in the planter and measured the area around them. In doing this I ended up with a box that was 36cm in length, 10cm length and 10 cm in height. It doesn’t sound big – because it isn’t. But it fits perfectly in the area. So firstly, I’d decide where you want your planter and plan your measurements from there.
So next, onto the actual building. First, sam took out his mitre saw and chopped the plan of wood i had marked out measurements on. We (Sam) decided it would look so much neater if we (he) cut the joints at an angle to fit together rather than just slotting two straight pieces against each other. He was right, it does.
Once the wood had been cut (including the base) I got out the wood glue and stuck those corners together. It isn’t the easiest, you do have to hold each corner for a little while until the glue has started to stick. But once they stand on their own just leave the whole thing to dry for a few hours.
The next thing I did was actually a little silly. What I should have done prior to that last step, is build up the planter around the base, sticking them all together. I however forgot about the base, and so I had to put glue round the edges and slot it down and into the bottom. It got a bit messy. Don’t make my mistake, glue the planter around the base and leave the whole thing to set.
So, one my planter was made and the glue had dried, it was time to pain, or in my case stain. I wanted to keep my planter very simple. Of course there is nothing stopping you painting it any colour you fancy, decorate it with anything you can get your hands on. But I wanted simple and so I chose the ikea dark stain. ITs a fantastic colour and it brings out the grain beautifully. Two coats of that and leave it to dry.
Now, its time to add my corner brackets. As I stated earlier, if you aren’t using corner brackets (all though you should really re-consider, there are some gorgeous ones about!) you shouldn’t use glue. I used it because the whole frame would have extra support from the brackets. Without the glue would be too flimsy, so use screws. Anyway, first Sam (I’m awful with a drill, but I am working on it! ha) drilled a few little pre-holes..
And then using a screwdriver I fixed the brackets to the planter.
And thats it, my DIY rustic planter was finished! All that was a left to do was to pop in those plants.
It really finishes off the TV unit beautifully, I’m glad to have those bottom shelves finished.
So, back to my list, here’s what I still have left to do in the living room:
- Fit magnet catch -ers to the TV unit doors. (2/3 so far, I’m expecting to have it finished by Christmas.)
- Replace the skirting board. (Fit, calk and paint them)
- Replace the door frames. (Same as above.)
- Repaint both doors.
- Fit new plate over high plug socket near the sofa.
- Make/Buy radiator cover. – We haven’t decided yet, our radiators are ridiculously high, so ‘standard’ covers don’t fit.
Make/buy cushions for the sofa – It already holds 11, but it just isn’t enough! I NEED MORE! Find something to go on both the bottom shelves of the TV unit.
- Replace back door. (This is a way way down the line project for when we actually own the house *still in deposit saving phase*)
The little woman pretends.