I was supposed to put this recipe up last weekend, i’m slightly behind schedule as always!
But here it is anyway & I promise, its is so worth the wait.
This recipe will give you perfect, crisp on the outside, soft, gooey chocolate chip goodness on the inside – cookies. Its tried and tested a thousand times over and never once has this recipe failed me.
First up a few notes. I use a method (not the recipe) I discovered from Ina Garten -The barefoot contessa for anyone familiar with the food network- and i’ve found this to be the best/least messiest way of making cookies. This method requires you to freeze your dough before cooking, doesn’t have to be completely frozen 4-6 hours will do, but I always make the cookie dough the day before I need them so they have plenty of time to harden. The bad thing about this is you don’t get cookies right away, the fantastic thing is you can make up a gigantic batch in one go, and you always have cookie dough in the freezer for when you fancy a treat.
So now we’ve covered that, here’s the info.
These quantities will make roughly 24 cookies.
What you’ll need:
- 250g plain flour.
- 2.5g Baking powder
- 2.5g salt.
- 170g butter.
- 200g soft brown sugar.
- 100g caster sugar.
- 5g vanilla paste. (optional)
- 2 eggs – using only 1 yolk.
- 325g milk chocolate chunks/smarties/white chocolate. all depending on what sort of cookies you want to make.
Here’s what you need to do first.
- Sift together the flour, salt & bi-carb before setting aside.
- In another bowl cream together the butter, brown sugar and caster sugar.
- Beat the vanilla, egg & egg yolk into the sugar/butter until light and creamy.
- Empty in the dry ingredients and chocolate chunks before mixing.
- Spoon the mixture into a sausage shape onto onto a sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Roll up the mixture and scrunch the edges together.
- Place in the freezer for 4-6 hours – or longer (overnight is best).
*You can keep your dough wrapped up in your freezer for up to 6 months – realistically its never going to last that long so don’t worry about that.
And here’s how to bake your cookies.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 3.
- Slice through the cookie roll making disks.
- Place the disks on greaseproof paper on a baking tray & bake for 15-17 mins or until the edges are lightly toasted.
- Leave to cool.
*If your doing more than one batch and need your tray, simply lift the greaseproof paper up and off (carefully) and lay a new sheet on your tray for your new batch. Your cookies will be incredibly soft (not to mention scalding hot) so don’t touch them until they have cooled.
Easy as that! As I said, you can keep your cookie dough wrapped up in your freezer, simply slice of a disk when you fancy a cookie.
The little woman pretends.